The Company Shed is one of the places that only those truly obsessed with food in the UK go on and on about. It’s almost a litmus test for foodies. If you mention it and the other person’s eyes light up, then you know they are serious about their love of food.
Here’s why coming here takes commitment.
- It’s not close. From London, it’s an hour and 15 minutes train ride and another 15 minutes in a taxi. It costs £24 return for the train ticket (per person) and £20 for the taxi (each way).
- You can get stuck there. There is only one road in and out of Mersea and when the tide is high, you just have to wait until it goes down.
- The place is not fancy. It’s literally a shed. It’s like being in your uncle’s rustic seaside cottage. If your uncle was a fisherman.
However, once you take your first bite of the impossibly fresh seafood, all the adversity melts away. It is worth every effort and I highly recommend it if you’ve not already been.
Here’s what you’ll need to bring with you:
- Bread and butter. All they provide is the seafood and some salad. That’s it.
- Any sauces you like to have with your seafood. If you’re a purist (like I am) ignore this.